Improve your health by focusing on healthy eating! Healthy meals can be quick, easy and delicious. With a little bit of preparation, a healthier lifestyle is attainable even if you are always on the go.
Marie McDermott, DNP, FNP-BC, shares ideas on ways to incorporate healthy food choices into your day.
Most breakfast cereals are high in sugars and starches. A heathier choice for the most important meal of the day is a breakfast smoothie. You can make one in advance with fresh greens and berries, almond or coconut milk, nuts and even protein powder.
Instead of picking up fast food, pack a salad. Be sure to use dark, leafy greens too.
Pre-cut fruits and vegetables are available in the produce section of most grocery stores and are nutritious snacks to eat throughout the day. Along with fruits and vegetables, nuts and seeds are a great choice and are packed with protein.
All of these snacks are great alternatives compared to the typical processed foods found in vending machines.
One-skillet meals are a great, easy choice for dinner. Throw in a protein like chicken or turkey, then add frozen vegetables and seasonings, heat, and voila, you have a home-cooked dinner. It’s almost as easy as grabbing fast food on the way home.
Some additional tips:
- Aim to eat a variety of different, brightly colored produce. The bright colors come from disease-fighting phytonutrients in the plants.
- Buy produce that is in season.
- Prep meals and snacks ahead of time, whenever possible.
- Keep a meal-planning board in your kitchen, especially if your household has multiple cooks.
- Nutrition is very individualized, so it’s important to choose healthy meals that you like and will eat.
Making time for your health now, will help bring a healthier tomorrow.