As the summer season continues to heat up, many people are outside and enjoy the warm weather. However, with increased outdoor activity comes an increased risk of injury. Whether you’re hiking, swimming, biking or simply enjoying a picnic in the park, accidents can and do happen.
This is why it’s important to know where to seek health care for any summer injuries.
Our ministry is proud to be expanding our urgent care presence in Richmond.
On June 19, we opened Bon Secours Urgent Care, Midlothian on Midlothian Turnpike. The plan is to open four additional locations by the end of the year in the East End, Regency Square, Nuckols Road and Swift Creek areas. These five new locations are in addition to our existing Glen Allen facility, bringing the total number of Bon Secours Urgent Care centers in the Richmond area to six.
Urgent care is designed to bring our communities and patients more access to care for minor illness and injuries – when and where they need it. Our urgent care facilities are designed for today’s busy families who need convenient care sites with free, easy parking, walk-in appointments and the option to reserve a spot online. Here, we help patients get care for conditions that need attention but would otherwise place more pressure on our busy hospital emergency departments.
“We are proud to expand and scale our urgent care offerings to improve access to same-day care, making health care easier for patients throughout the Richmond area,” Mike Lutes, our Richmond market president, shares. “Our vision is to deliver the quality, compassionate care Bon Secours is known for in a more personalized, quick and convenient setting. We want patients to spend less time waiting and more time with their health care provider.”
Which summer injuries should I go to urgent care for?
Urgent care centers are a great resource for children or adults who need medical attention for non-life-threatening injuries because they offer extended hours and can treat a wide variety of minor illnesses and injuries through walk-in visits.
Here are some signs that you should seek urgent care for your summer injury:
- Sprains, strains and minor fractures – If you suspect that you have a sprain or minor fracture, we can perform an X-ray and a splint to help immobilize the bone and reduce pain as well as instructions on follow-up care.
- Cuts and minor lacerations – If you have a minor cut or scrape that is in need of medical attention but is not life-threatening, urgent care can provide stitches or other treatment to help the wound heal properly.
- Insect bites, spider bites and stings – If you have an allergic reaction to an insect bite, spider bite or sting, urgent care can provide treatment to reduce swelling and prevent anaphylaxis.
- Earaches, ear infections and swimmer’s ear – If you experience ear pain, discharge from the ear or difficulty hearing, you may have an ear infection or swimmer’s ear. These issues can occur in both adults and children, and if you seek care at one of our urgent care centers we are happy to help.
- Stomach pain, nausea and vomiting – If you experience severe stomach pain, nausea, vomiting or diarrhea, you may have a stomach virus or food poisoning. Walk right in to one of our urgent care centers for immediate medical attention.
Want to try your best to avoid injuries and illnesses altogether this summer? Check out our healthy summer tips blog.