You may already be in the habit of scheduling your annual physical exam with your primary care provider. However, did you know there’s another type of annual visit you could be scheduling as well?
If you have Medicare Part B coverage, one of your key benefits is something called the Annual Wellness Visit.
What is The Annual Wellness Visit
Commonly referred to as the AWV, this visit is separate from your annual physical exam and is focused on problem prevention and education.
While you’ll have your vital signs, such as height, weight, and blood pressure, checked at both visits, this is where the similarities stop.
The Annual Wellness Visit is about improving your overall health.
During this visit, you can expect the following:
- A review your medical and family history
- Health assessments and discussion of any potential health risks
- Complete medication review
- To be asked if you have developed your advanced directives, such as a living will
- Education on improving your health and preventing disease which might include conversations around nutrition, activity levels, and other health maintenance topics
- Recommendations for appropriate preventative health services as next steps
Scheduling your Annual Wellness Visit
The AWV is a no cost benefit for those who have been enrolled in Medicare Part B for longer than 12 months. For additional information on eligibility, be sure to check your Medicare Part B plan details.
To schedule your AWV, contact your primary care provider’s office. If you need to establish care, check out the full list of our primary care providers.