Today is Earth Day, the perfect time for us to reflect on gifts from the earth that God continues to bestow upon us.
One thing we can be thankful for is the sunshine that allows us to play in the yard with our kids. We are also grateful for the fresh air on our walks and the beauty of spring blooming around us. All of these aspects of nature give us hope and bring comfort during uncertain times.
On Earth Day, we at Bon Secours are celebrating by sharing our deep passion for caring for the environment. Our commitment plan and operational design serves as our guide in our ongoing sustainability efforts. These outlines allow us to consistently practice and measure progress on how we are taking care of the environment and our world.
As a ministry, we are currently:
- Maintaining safe, healthy work environments for our team members by eliminating or minimizing the use of substances that cause environmental damage or health/safety hazards.
- Attending to food chain sustainability within our facilities, including local sourcing of food and disposal practices that are environmentally friendly, as well as promoting access to healthy diets.
- Reducing or eliminating waste, improving energy efficiency as well as conservation across our operations by utilizing environmentally safe and sustainable energy sources.
- Utilizing natural resources that are sustainable and renewable as well as products that are environmentally responsible.
- Tracking, evaluating and reporting on our environmental policy practices and outcomes.
Composting, impact investing, solar panels and initiatives with design and construction are a few of our current sustainability efforts in the communities we serve.
How do you plan to show your appreciation for God’s gift of the earth today?
Here are a few ways to get started:
- Consuming less meat is helpful for the environment, so enjoy a plant-based diet for the day.
- Let your green thumb show by planting a few flowers. You’ll be able to enjoy their beauty in the coming months and you’ll also be providing a habitat for bees.
- Walk around your community and collect any trash you see. Be sure to be safe by using a bag and gloves.
- Get outside, take a walk and enjoy the nature around you. This can be a great family activity or go alone and use it as reflection time. Be sure to bring a reusable water bottle filled with water to stay hydrated.
- Start growing herbs and vegetables at home. If you don’t have a lot of room, start small and try using a few little planters.
Learn more about the health care services we offer at Bon Secours.