It can be hard to know where to start when it comes to preparing your taxes each year. Do you use a free service or hire a professional? If you do it yourself, how do you know if it has been done correctly? How do you know you can trust the person helping you out?
For nearly 20 years, Bon Secours Community Works has operated Our Money Place, which offers a low-cost alternative for tax preparation to residents in the Baltimore area. This affordable, walk-in tax clinic offers free consultations with tax preparers licensed by the state of Maryland.
The clinic offers its services for both individual or corporate taxes with a low $25 tax prep service fee for those who are Earned Income Credit (EIC) eligible (for current year only). Not EIC eligible? Don’t worry – still stop by. We won’t turn anyone away, regardless of income or otherwise.
Bon Secours Community Works is happy to be a resource to the Baltimore and West Baltimore communities. Last year alone, we helped secure more than $665,000 dollars in federal returns and more than $180,000 in state returns to our clients.
Interested in having us help you with your taxes?
Our tax preparers can help prepare your 2020 taxes, review any of your previous tax returns, or simply answer any of your tax-related questions. Turnaround time is typically one to two weeks.
For our team to best assist you, please bring all the appropriate documentation (see Tax Prep Checklist below), know how you want to file your taxes, and come prepared with any questions.
Our Money Place is located at 26 N. Fulton Avenue, Baltimore, MD 21223 and will be operating from Saturday, February 1 through Tuesday, April 14. No appointment necessary. See below for designated pick up and drop off times. Note there are a few special dates and office closures. Call us at 410-801-5101 with any questions.
Closed: Sunday, Monday and Wednesday
2 p.m. to 6 p.m. | Drop Off Only
April 14: 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. | Pickup Only
2 p.m. to 6 p.m. | Pickup Only
April 9: 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. | Drop Off Only – last day to drop off!
Closed: February 27
10 a.m. to 12 p.m. | Drop Off Only
2 p.m. to 5 p.m. | Pickup Only
Closed: February 28 and April 10
Open on February 1, 8, 15, and 22 | March 21 and 28 | April 4
10 a.m. to 12 p.m. | Drop Off Only
2 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. | Pickup Only
Closed: February 29 and April 11
Reminder: No matter who prepares your taxes, be sure to ask questions. Once you put your signature on your return, the responsibility for any errors falls on you. If your preparer can’t answer your questions, seek a second opinion. You should never sign something you don’t understand.
Tax Prep Checklist
Services we offer:
- Current year federal and state returns
- Back taxes
- Individual taxes
- Business and corporate taxes
- Current state ID or driver’s license
- Social security card for each family member (no copies)
- W2 forms for all jobs worked in 2019
- Child care provider statements to include name, address, and tax ID number of provider and full name and address of child
- All bank account information (you can deposit refunds in up to 3 accounts)
- Copy of last year’s tax return
- Any documentation about money you have received from the IRS or Maryland
- All 1099 forms for other income (if any)
- Any other tax-related documents
- Joint returns must have signatures of both adults
- Medical insurance as reported on or all the following forms: 1095-A, 1095-B, 1095-C
- $25 deposit/payment (no cash accepted. Money Order or Certified Check only, payable to: Our Money Place)
To quality for EIC, you need 3 of the following:
- Your current lease, listing all dependents
- Valid Maryland ID or driver’s license for dependents
- Dependent W2
- Statement from dependent’s school
- College student 1098T (tuition statement)
- Healthcare provider statement
- Childcare provider statement
- Placement agency statement
- Dependent bank statement
- You must provide a birth certificate for dependents born in 2017 and those not yet in school or daycare
- You must provide birth certificate for child AND parent if claiming nephews, nieces and/or grandchildren
Disability of a qualifying child over 18 years old, you need one of the following:
- Doctor statement
- Other healthcare provider statement
- Social services agency or program statement
Schedule C and E fliers must present information to confirm business information:
- Must present documents or other information to confirm the existence of a business and amount of Schedule C and/or E income and expenses to be reporter on the return. i.e. business license, 1099 forms, summary of income and expenses, bank statements, etc.